Serving our Lord in Rotorua

Saturday, March 17, 2012

A week in the life of....


Well, I may as well start back into blogging with the craziest week we've had in a long time. I can't remember how to work this site, so bear with me if copying the photo doesn't work.
To start the week, I prayed that God would show me what I needed to do in regards to feeling constantly too busy and wanting to establish better routine and order at home. Within 3 hours I had hurt my back so badly that I was lying in the hallway nursing Deborah, waiting for a friend to arrive so that she could take Deborah and allow me to attempt moving around. Jeremy was able to work from home on a project, which I was very thankful for, as by 4pm I was a sobbing pile on the lounge floor, unable to move without extreme pain. Unsure what pain relief I could take while nursing, Jeremy arranged care for the children and took me up to the emergency department to have a wee chat to a doctor or two. I was able to get an appointment the next morning with an osteopath, which was very helpful, but have been unable to resist the pain relief all week, inspite of my concern for Deborah. By Wednesday I had improved some, and was able to prepare the sleepout for distant relatives arriving. Dad was also arriving by bus on his way to Auckland, and Steve and Deborah very kindly collected him (once they found him, his bus was half an hour late) as I was unsure about driving. I was very thankful for online grocery shopping including a voucher for free delivery - the joy of having my groceries arrive on the door step is delightful! Jeremy finally got home from Taupo at about 8pm, only to disappear down the hall to scoff his dinner and work until after 11pm trying to sort out an IT hitch. Thursday I took anti-inflammatories and pain relief, which proved very helpful in light of the events of the day. First trip to bus stop at 1pm discovered that Dad's bus had a changed timetable which he had not been informed about. Home to put tired children to bed, prep some dinner and grab 15min of strange dreams and we piled back into the car to return to bus station by 3pm. As I had another appointment at 4.30pm, and couldn't be bothered driving home and back again, we went to the library to eat our afternoon tea and collect a stack of books ranging from BabyBear and Dr. Suess to the history of railroads in America. Eventually got home just after 5pm, threw the dinner in the oven, Jeremy arrived back from Taupo in time for dinner, tried to enjoy conversation with our interesting guests without rushing everyone too much, then we raced out to a talk at a church by a man from Creation Ministries who has made models of Noah's Ark to the specifications listed in the Bible - a fascinating evening, which we followed up with icrecream and conversation.
Friday dawned, another cool night followed by lovely sunny day. A lovely morning of reading and playing, said goodbye to our guests, and got ready to go to homeschool group music, sport and culture classes at 1pm. Jeremy had returned yet again to Taupo, hoping to be home early. I loaded the car up with children, pram, babybag and snacks, and returned for sunhats. Set the alarm, locked and shut the door, and then realised that the house/car keys were still hanging in the cupboard... Oh my. Well that's one interesting way to instigate conversation on survival in the wild... Still hoping that Jeremy would be home early, and not having any neighbours at home to get a phone number for a locksmith anyway, we settled down to eat grapes and blueberries, put up the pup tent, and try to jimmy various windows open (secured the lock handles even tighter...). A few hours later, me having completely forgotten about the locksmith option, friends arrived to drop off 2 Bible college students who are staying with us for a week. I was very thankful for them, as they played with the kids on the trampoline and with the emergency art kits I had stashed in the car, and generally helped us get through the next nearly 2 hours quite easily. Not your usual start to a mission trip!
So there you have it. A week in the life of the Peakes! Today Jeremy and the guys are at church stripping the floor and putting up a radio aerial, while the kids and I enjoy the sunshine at home - but with the option of indoor play! Tonight Jeremy and I might achieve a date out without mis-hap, as Monday night's date spent in ED with a tired baby wasn't quite what we had in mind. I hear the hose beside the washing line going full strength, with yells from indignant brothers, so had better to see if my washing has been re-washed.

No comments: